Every now and then, I find leftover cooked rice in the fridge just begging to be turned into something scrumptious. It’s the quickest weeknight dinner with just the addition of some veggies and protein, and some Hot Chilli Sambal for that nice heat and fermented shrimp paste umami. I always have frozen mixed veggies in the freezer for just this purpose, and some cooked chicken sausage ready to go. Whenever I don’t have any frozen veggies on hand, I dice up some carrots and celery which the kid absolutely loves. Cooked chicken breast, roast beef, Chinese sausage, extra firm tofu – all would work just as well. The tofu version is my favorite, but the kid loves chicken sausage, so sausage it is.
Do use cold rice – freshly cooked rice yields a soggy mess as it’s just too wet. Cold rice from the refrigerator works perfectly.
Here’s the basic recipe – feel free to add or leave out anything that doesn’t suit your tastes. Start to finish, it should take you all of 20 minutes.
My Quick Weeknight Fried Rice
1 tbsp oil
2 eggs – beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper
2 tbsp oil
4 garlic cloves – minced
1 red onion – diced
1 – 2 tbsp Hot Chilli Sambal
1 cup mixed vegetables
2 chicken sausages – cooked and diced
3 cups cold rice
2 scallions – sliced
One handful of bean sprouts
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add beaten egg. Cook until firm then transfer onto a plate. Slice the eggs into strips
- Add oil to a wok. Add garlic and red onion – fry until slightly softened.
- Add Hot Chilli Sambal to taste. I like two heaping tablespoons. Stir to combine
- Add mixed veggies and cooked sausage. Cook for two minutes
- Add rice. Break up lumps and stir to mix all ingredients well.
- Add scallions and bean sprouts. Season with salt and peppers and mix to combine.
- Top with sliced egg.
And here’s a little secret for the chef – if you let the bottom of the wok burn just ever-so-slightly, you’ll get this incredible crispy rice layer. Scoop that up with the wok ladle – I promise I won’t tell anyone if you don’t serve that part to everyone else! See the pic below – it’s what scrumptious dreams are made of! Happy Cooking – Auria xo